maya-program

Montezuma Castle

Montezuma Castle is a cliff dwelling constructed by the Sinaguan People of Arizona's Verde Valley in the late 12th century. The Sinaguan culture thrived in agriculture and trade until they abandoned the Verde Valley in the 15th century.

Montezuma Castle was proclaimed a National Monument on December 8, 1906 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. It is a five-story stone structure with 20 rooms perched some 50 feet above the valley floor. The walls are constructed of limstone and mud mortar with earthen roof and floors. Some of the architectural features include viga and latilla ceilings, interior plastered walls, storage holes, fireplaces, and roof hatchways.

This project was administered by the Intermountain Support Office of National Park Service by Program Manager Robert L. Spude and Historical Architect Victoria Jacobson.

Documentation was begun during the summer of 2002 and completed during the summer of 2003 by the Historical Resources Imaging Laboratory, College of Architecture, Texas A&M University, David G. Woodcock, Director. Documentation was supervised by Project Supervisor Robert Warden. Architectural Technicians for summer 2002 included: Fatima Al-Namari, Barbara Anderson, Eric Blauert, Lonnie Champagne, Jeff Dehaven, Jose Del Castillo, Ji-Hyun Lee, and Laurie McNeill. Architecture Technicians for summer 2003 included: Rima Al Ajouni, Lonnie Champagne, Charlie Kolarik, Ashley Miller, Kristen Ramsey, and Sean Williams. On-site consultation was given by Chief Ranger Steven Sandell, Karen Hughes, and Park Superintendent Kathy Davis.